2.24.2009

iHCPL #53: Finding Books Online

Post

Exercise #1: I wasn't overly impressed with the Houston.com search, so I went to my tried and true local search, Yahoo Maps. You can plug in your location and then search for nearby businesses. Searching around Admin doesn't bring up much - except for the Half Price Books warehouse nearby. The other stores are college oriented. When I expand the map out, I come up with more possibilities including Half Price Books in Rice Village. While they have an online presence, there really isn't an online search - there's a link to an Amazon search from the site.

Exercise #2: Well, I went to Amazon and found The Gargoyle in a variety of editions including for the Kindle and used editions. Having listened to this, I know it's available on CD and as a download from the Digital Media Catalog.

Exercise #3: I've tried eBooks, they just don't appeal to me. I look at the computer too much every day - at work and at home - to want to read a book online. I did find reading one on the Sony eReader was a bit more appealing and I'll be interested to see what it's like on the Kindle. The screens are not as tiring.

No comments: