Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

4.16.2008

iHCPL - Next Gen Spring Cleaning #30 Take a Load Off

Clean up those files - we're overloaded. That's the basic message of item #30.

Hi, my name is Grace - Hi Grace! - and I have a LOT of files. File management is a never ending journey for me. Because I work with a lot of images, I tend to have really BIG files, which causes all sort of problems. So, I have a multi-tiered approach to file management. I keep active files in my Z drive and stuff I need to get to frequently. The eBranch has a shared drive for files we all use, for example the various logo files and the banners we create for the front of the website. I don't use the S drive much, only if I'm getting or receiving a big file, although lately much of that is done through YouSendIt, which is easier.

When I'm done with files, for example posters, I burn the original files to a CD and get it off my computer. So, I also have a lot of CDs. Finally, I do actually use my C drive; I have to, that's where the GIS (Graphical Information System, i.e. mapping) files are, which are absolutely HUGE.

I do have a pretty good filing system and go through my files on a fairly regular basis. If I didn't, I'd never find anything.

No comments: