10.29.2007

Week 8: #18 The Social Web


Visit my family
Join the Dogster community


I've been checking out some social networking sites recently. I can't say I'm overly enamored of them, but they are interesting. Honestly, I think a lot of it is I'm just out of the age range it really appeals to. What I have found is the niche sites are more appealing to me. I love Dogster & Catster - all of my dogs and cats have their own page and friends.

LinkedIn is interesting as it is business oriented. It looks like it might be a great way to network with people. I've been on it for a couple months - someone invited me to join. I like that you can tie in with current and past work colleagues and other people who might "relate" to you.

Of the big services, I honestly can't stand MySpace. Many of the spaces I've seen are just plain gaudy and it just doesn't appeal to me. Again, I think I'm too old.

Facebook, on the other hand, I've been fiddling with for about a month. I do find it appealing and could see it being potentially useful at work. Groups are still new to me, but it might be useful for some projects. I say this because I wish Ning worked at the library. It's a way to form your own social network, but we have yet to make it work in the library.

I do think Social Networking is something all libraries need to pay attention to. I don't think it's going away any time soon, it's simply too popular and a new way for people to communicate. Using proper safety measures, it can be a safe experience. That's one of the reasons I like trying it out with Dogster or Catster. Your dogs and cats are on stage, rather than you.

No comments: