11.21.2007

Sesame Street - For Adults Only?


If you can't see the video, click here.

A recent article in the New York Times by Virginia Heffernan relates that the first two seasons of Sesame Street are now out on DVD, but come with the following warning:

These early ‘Sesame Street’ episodes are intended for grown-ups, and may not suit the needs of today’s preschool child.
Being born in 1970, I grew up with Sesame Street. I love(d) Big Bird, Snuffleupagus, Oscar the Grouch, Kermit, and Cookie Monster. Now I find that the early episodes aren't good enough for todays children. I suppose I understand some of it - the article relates that in one episode Cookie Monster has a pipe - but I loved Sesame Street and I don't think it harmed me.

I had a Cookie Monster puppet, which I fed cookies to - my mom had to clean out his "throat" periodically of crumbs. I also had a Sesame Street activity book that gave me ideas like making drums from oatmeal containers. Do kids do this today?

I know educational standards have evolved for children, especially young children, but it disturbs me that something I grew up on - that I loved - is considered inappropriate now. Boy, do I feel old.

No comments: