11.21.2007

Week 10: #23 The End?

It is hard to believe that this is the final exercise. When the idea for doing a 23 Things type project was first suggested (in late 2006 or early 2007) by several different people it was hard to imagine this point. After months of planning and then doing, we are done - at least for now.

What were your favorite discoveries or exercises on this learning journey?

I loved doing avatars - and seeing what other people came up with. I also enjoyed reading people's blogs and discovering some good strong - and sometime unexpected - voices.
How has this program assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals?
It has reinforced the need to always keep learning. When Thomas Jefferson founded the University of Virginia, my alma mater, he didn't believe in using the terms freshman, sophomore, etc. - or even giving degrees. The reason for this is he didn't think people ever stopped learning. While they give degrees now, it's still first year, second year, etc. - because you're never senior in learning. This has always been my philosophy and this program reinforces that.
Were there any take-aways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?
For me, it the number of people who participated and the overwhelmingly positive response. While some people started and didn't continue, we've had a good continuation rate. I have been so pleased with how many people have joined in on this journey.
What ideas do you have for using these technologies at Harris County Public Library?
I would like to get more people involved in blogging. We're about to move the web server, which will allow us to upgrade some software, including Moveable Type. I would like to see more staff blogging for the public.

I'd like to make Harriet into a Wiki. I'd also like to see us use Wiki software on the main website, perhaps for the links section.

I think we should do some kind of trading card to hand out to the public.

What if we had everyone at a branch create an avatar and featured that on the branch page?

For the Adult SRP we're looking at using a Wiki. I'd like to see about using LibraryThing or Twitter to feature some content from customers.

Above all else, we need more staff involved on the website and we need to involve our customers.
What else do you want to learn about? What other web 2.0 applications are you interested in?
I have a list started on my del.icio.us account with ideas of sites for the next step in iHCPL.
This has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my career - helping with and participating in iHCPL. I hope that we can continue this type of program in the coming year. My thanks to all the participants and iHCPL team members.

No comments: